World Court orders Israel to halt assault on Gaza’s Rafah

Delegates attend a ruling on South Africa's request to order a halt to Israel's Rafah offensive in Gaza as part of a larger case brought before the Hague-based court by South Africa accusing Israel of genocide, at the International Court of Justice (ICJ), in The Hague, Netherlands May 24. Reuters-Yonhap

Judges at the top United Nations court ordered Israel on Friday to immediately halt its military assault on the southern Gaza city of Rafah, in a landmark emergency ruling in South Africa’s case accusing Israel of genocide.While the International Court of Justice, or World Court, has no means to enforce its orders, the case was a stark sign of Israel’s global isolation over its campaign in Gaza, particularly since it began its offensive against Rafah this month against the pleas of its closest ally the United States.Reading out the ruling, World Court president Nawaf Salam said the situation in the Palestinian enclave had deteriorated since the court last ordered Israel to take steps to improve it, and conditions had been met for a new emergency order.”The state of Israel shall (….) immediately halt its military offensive, and any other action in the Rafah governorate, which may inflict on the Palestinian group in Gaza conditions of life that could bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part,” he said.

Israel had not explained how it would keep the population safe during an evacuation of Rafah, or provide food, water, sanitation and medicine for the 800,000 Palestinians that had already fled the Israeli advance, he said.The ICJ ordered Israel to open the Rafah crossing between Egypt and Gaza to let in aid. Israel, it added, must provide access for investigators and report back on its progress within one month.The order was adopted by the panel of 15 international judges in a 13-2 vote, opposed only by judges from Uganda and Israel itself.South Africa hailed the ruling as groundbreaking.A White House spokesperson said “We’ve been clear and consistent on our position on Rafah.”The internationally recognised Palestinian Authority said it represented a global consensus that the war must end, although presidential spokesman Nabil Abu Rudeineh said it did not go far enough because it did not halt fighting in other parts of Gaza.Senior Hamas official Basem Naim told Reuters: “We call upon the U.N. Security Council to immediately implement this demand by the World Court into 스포츠토토존 practical measures to compel the Zionist enemy to implement the decision.”

  • Related Posts

    Expert Panel Unpacks The Licensing Shift

    핀란드가 변화를 가져오는 이유 핀란드의 도박 독점은 한때 도박 접근을 엄격하게 규제하고 국가 프로그램에 자금을 조달하며 사회적 피해를 최소화하는 방법으로 여겨졌습니다. 그러나 기술 혁명과 전 세계적으로 대부분의 사람들이 쉽게 접근할…

    Reviewing the Slot Game Collection at The Online Casino

    슬롯 게임은 단순하면서도 스릴 넘치는 메커니즘으로 전 세계 수백만 명의 마음을 사로잡았습니다. 이들의 매력은 생생한 그래픽과 큰 성공을 거둘 수 있는 잠재력에 있습니다. 이 리뷰에서는 온라인 카지노에서 제공하는 다양한 선택지를…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *